Introduction to the League of Legends
If you thought LoL only means Laugh Out Loud, then you might want to think again because League of Legends is one of those revolutionary video games that will get you laughing out Loud and rushing your adrenaline at the same time. League of Legends is abbreviated LOL. Hence it isn’t too far off when it comes to the colloquial reference indicated. Did you love Warcraft III: The frozen throne Mod, defense of the Ancients? Then you are sure of falling in love with the league of legends video game. It is a video game that was inspired by the Warcraft III game, hence the fun that you enjoyed is guaranteed, also of course to the new and improved gaming experience. League of Legends is designed for macOS and Microsoft Windows, which is a wonderful creation of renowned gaming experts the Riot Games. Following we’ll be tapping into some of the most interesting facts about LoL, hence a League of Legends 101.
Overview of How the Game is played
The video game features players who take on the role of a “summoner” who has the powers to control the game “champion.” The summoner is designed with special abilities and is thus able to put up a spirited fight against a team of other equally competent gamers and if there are not, the summoner can also battle with computer operated champions. In all this, the goal of the game is to ensure the player destroys a safely guarded “Nexus” of the opposing team. This Nexus is a structure often strategically located at the core of a base and is often surrounded by very defensive structures that will give you a run for your money in trying to gain access.
The further you go into the game, the stronger you become when you accumulate items that will be used to fight and defend your nexus. Of course, the experience as you progress from one discrete match to the next one will also make you stronger. The milieu and gaming platform marries various elements to provide the perfect gaming experience of a lifetime. These elements include, but are not limited to Lovecraftian, steampunk and high fantasy horror.
The Actual Gameplay
This multiplayer online battle arena game (MOBA game) is one of a kind thanks to the three gaming modes provided; twisted treeline, summoner’s rift, and howling abyss. The matches run from 20-60 minutes of intensive gaming experience. Each level and mode of the game is designed in such a way that the opposing teams fight it out to attain a condition for victory set out so they can progress to the next level. As mentioned, the ultimate goal of the game is to ensure the Nexus of the opposing team is destroyed once the line of defense structures is destroyed.
The line of Defense Structures
As mentioned, the ultimate focus of each team is to defend its structures while at the same time trying to destroy the nexus of the opposing team. The structures include the following
They are very powerful, and lethal defensive structures are known as turrets on each lane of the game. Therefore, each of the three lanes above has turrets. The Turrets are designed to attack the enemy as they approach them as well as minions of the enemy. Once you destroy the turrets, you get to earn not only experience that gives you strength but also gold. Of equal importance to mention is the fact that when turrets are destroyed, it becomes permanent meaning they will not resurface or respawn to continue attacking enemy players. Please note that you have to ensure you destroy the turrets and kill them completely, otherwise depending on the scene, turrets are known to regenerate their compromised health with time and come back stronger and more vicious.
The second defensive structure is the inhibitor whereby each lane is designed to have one. As previously mentioned, each lane is guarded by three turrets, and once they are destroyed, the inhibitor of that lane is prone to attack. Note that inhibitors respawn every five minutes when destroyed, so you have to put up a very spirited fight. Luckily, your Nexus will give birth to very powerful super minions that will provide the much-needed cover on all surrounding minions.
This is the ultimate target for all players. Each team has a well-guarded Nexus upon which damage to it ends the game. The nexus can only get damaged when all the inhibitors and turrets in its lane are destroyed. Of course, it is the ultimate target for all lovers of the League of Legends to ensure they penetrate the opponent’s line of defense and destroy the Nexus.
With experience, gains win, and awards over the course of the game, the champions gain more strength, hence more powers to put up a spirited fight against the enemy. When you attain the champions level with each match of the game, you will be able to unlock special abilities that will bolster your abilities and super powers to conquer the enemies camp. Have a short read on our Blog post on funny and cool champions/skins in league of legends.
Important Gaming Points to Remember
- Should you die in the “line of duty,” are defeated or lose your health, you will automatically be revived from the lowest level once enough time passes.
- By the same token, you start each match with some small amount of gold as you build up your gold stash with each additional match that you pass through. This you do by either killing all the enemy minions and their monsters, through champion abilities or what is referred to as unique item interactions.
- You can use your gold stash to purchase gaming items in the shop that will strengthen your ability and improve your gaming experience in different ways
- It is also important to mention that the gold earned, the experience acquired, and all items bought cannot be carried over to the next match as each is unique to their specific match.
How the Champions are Chosen by Teams for Each Match
There are three major ways through which teams can pick the champions they wish to play for either of the matches available.
- The first method is the blind pick that allows the two opposing teams to choose their players at the same time. The blind pick is “blind” in that the players will only know of their opponent’s selections of champions once the match commences.
- The second method is known as the draft pick whereby each of the teams is allowed to ban at most five champions in that the banned champions are removed from the match. This is then followed by the two opposing teams picking champions in turns while gaining access to what their opponents are selecting.
- The last approach is the random pick whereby a champion is randomly assigned to the two opposing teams. There are re-rolls that gamers will accumulate along the course of the match when they participate in multiple matches. The accumulated re-rolls are then used randomly to choose the subsequent champion for that particular match.
Types of Champions and how they are classed
League of Legends currently has over 140 champions whereby the champions are divided in several ways. The most distinguishing feature, however, is based on the type and amount of damage that a champion can deal. Generally, some champions will deal magic damage while others will deal physical damage. The magic damage champions’ deal is resisted by magic resistance stat while their physical damage counterparts are resisted by the armor stat. It is also not uncommon to find some champions dealing a combination of both whereby the player gets to choose which to lay more emphasis on.
Quick League of Legends Build Guide and Tips
- First and foremost, you have to ensure to start your game with 3 HP pots and boots will nearly every role in your game. This way, you can easily retreat or engage as the need arises with the movement you got so you can be able to remain in your lane longer especially with the support of hp pots.
- Take the time to familiarize yourself with all the champions in the game so you can know how to strategize properly. At the very least, you will know when to be aggressive and when to go slow saving your energy.
- Should you end up playing as a jungler, it is important you pay close attention to all lanes everytime you are in action. Should your opponents overextend a lane, i.e., go beyond the midway point towards your tower; the safest bet would be to gank the lane very fast.
To become a force to reckon with and get on the league of legends hall of fame, the above-mentioned guide and tips will certainly get you started on the right footing. This is a game that requires strategic thinking and a very high skill level to outplay your enemies and destroy their Nexus. Read on in our blog post on How to play league of Legends like a Pro.